“Can you build an identity without awareness?” Malin Falu ( broadcaster, Afro-Latina ). Falu asked an important question, many times the underrepresented are not aware of their margination because they have being in that position for generations. A number of uninformed Africans/ blacks on the continent and in the diaspora assume their subjugated position as the status quo. They are convinced that disproportionate unemployment,discrimination, poor living conditions,civil wars in Africa, lack of African representation on the global platform, and in world history are self inflicted and also they are results of Africans inferior “race.” Many Black/African people in contemporary times are not aware of their oppression. I often write about the importance of decolonizing the African mind individually and collectively.But sometimes I forget that not everyone is aware of the source of their second class citizenship. Below are fews suggestions I hope they assist you/us with the awakening process.
Early Civilization/ Africa the birth place of humanity and inventions ( African History in General )
- Ivan Van Sertima on African achievements and groundbreaking inventions in world history. E.g break through in Agriculture, astronomy, first to smelt steel, perform cesarean section ( C-section) etc.
- African Civilization and the role it plays in shaping the world.
- Great and Mighty Walk by Dr. John Henrik Clark focuses on African and the diaspora ( African American).
- The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality by Cheikh Anta Diop
- The Destruction of Black Cvilization by Chancellor Williams
- When Moors (Africans ) ruled Spain, Europe http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Cux3kXziY
- Unisco History of Africa ( 8 volumes)
How Belgium King Leopold created the problems that Congo is still dealing with in the 21 century.
Ali Farka Toure talks with Cory Harris on Pan-Africanism and why African Americans are Africans.http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Nem-PNHLY
- Patrice Lumumba: The U.S.-Backed Assassination of Congo’s First Democratically-Elected Leader
- Chinese’s Ancestors Were Africans
Zeray Alemseged an Ethiopian scientist unearth the oldest child in human history.
Before Islam and Christianity were created, Africans practiced African Traditional Religions (ATRs). To date on the continent and in diaspora, there are Africans that practice ATRs and many are reclaiming, unchaining themselves from the grip of “colonial religions” ( Islam and Christianity) and are going back to their roots.
- African Religions and Philosophy by John S. Mbiti
- African Spirituality Forms Meanings and Expressions by Jacob K.Olupona
- The history of the Islamic faith on the continent of Africa spans fourteen centuries. by Nehamia Levtzion
- Significations: Signs, Symbols, and Images in the Interpretation of Religion by Charles H. Long
- Of Water and the Spirit by Malidoma Patrice Some
- The Religious and Political power of African women. “Women of Zimbabwe as Keepers of Sacred Space”
- A History of Christianity in Africa: From Antiquity to the Present by Elizabeth Allo Isichei
- “Duke University Professor J. Lorand Matory discusses Voodoo and other African-inspired faiths”
- George Ayittey: Africa’s cheetahs versus hippos
- Dead Aid: Why Aid Is Not Working and How There Is a Better Way for Africa by Dambisa Moyo
- “Black Wall Street, Little Africa, Tulsa, Oklahoma 1921” full version http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4IvFXPGYNA
- How Europe Under Developed Africa by Walter Rodney