A black man (African) told me that he finds black women unattractive because they are ghetto and have a lot of problems.He went further to explain his dislike by noting that he loves white women because they are beautiful and opposite of black women. I was disgusted as I listened to this man who was reared, loved, clothed, protected, supported financially by black people especially the black African womb that gave him life.
I cautioned myself however, sympathetic towards him as I reflect on the source of this black man’s confession of defeat and self hate. This pattern of thinking is common amongst many Africans and people of African descent in the diaspora. They lack self pride and have internalized the general half cooked stories, negative images they see of themselves, read in “history” books, news papers, magazines etc. “Mainstream” media paints black people negatively and gives one sided stories. In movies Africans, people of African descent are often cast as maids, loud mouths, exotic, clowns, beggars, ignorant,satan, hypersexual, drug addicts, grossly overweight, absent parents, victims, helpless in need of the white savior and almost always play supporting roles even when the storyline is about a black hero/shero.
And when the media sees they can’t continue getting away with an all white cast because of protest from conscious blacks they make sure that the person that they cast is “biracial” “mixed with white” or has stereotypical white European features. The renowned movie director Haile Gerima calls it “the formular”, white racists believe that they cannot have a great movie without having a white person as the leading cast. The fear of celebrating blacks/Africans in a diverse light pushes mainstream media to white wash blackness in every way possible.
Alongside uplifting white women as the epitome of beauty even when they mutilate their bodies in an effort to acquire African/black features…below I provide you with few examples, as you/we go through these images, lets ask, what is the way forward? I think we need a holistic representation of black people particularly women! In the words of great wise Malcolm X, ” “If you’re not careful..
Movies that insist on focusing on stereotypes and the “formular” about black/ African women
1. The Help, is a movie that glorifies white supremacy and the worship of white women as saviors.
2. Precious, a movie that was praised by white controlled media for demonizing black women, and glorifies grossly fat and overweight black woman as “Percious”
3. The high priestess of soul, Nina Simone’s upcoming Biopic will feature Dominican-Puerto Rican Zoe Saldana a “light skinned”, skinny Zoe Saldana who looks nothing like the priestess. Simone was dark skinned, wore her hair natural. Politically she spoke against racism, honored her African roots, in appearance and in her music. Hollywood ignored all of those important facts. Simone’s daughter disapproved of the movie, thus far they refused to listen to her.
In the picture below Simone is on the left and Saldana on the right…
If you care about how black people are presented and represented in the media.I encourage folks to boycott this so called biopic, don’t watch it!
Listen to Nina Simone below performing one of her classic, politically charged song tiled, “Mississippi Goddamn”
4. Harriet Tubman is featured in Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Jacqueline Fleming a “mixed” race woman of Danish- German and African descent. Even though This movie is fictional, hollywood could not help but to cast a woman that has stereotypical European features.
Tubman was a dark skinned African woman, with wide nose, thick lips, round face, and natural kinky hair. And most importantly she was an abolitionist and humanitarian.
6. Beyonce was named People’s Magazine 2012 Most Beautiful but the magazine could not help see Beyonce’s black/ Negro features: thick lips, and light brown skin for that reason they white washed, photoshopped her by lighting her skin and erasing her lips so that they could look more white European.
This is what Beyonce looks like without the blond wig and weave, see the picture below..
7. Miss Universe 2012 is Angolan Leila Lopes, a dark skinned, with black/ negro features. But when white controlled media feature her in their magazines they almost always ease her blackness…
This is Leila Lopes’ real, natural skin tone, the photo below was shot during the Miss Universe contest
watch her video here…
But this is what she is captured as ( see the picture below) this is the cover of Maxim Portugal…
White women with “black features” are celebrated for their beauty but black women with those features naturally are labelled by white media as ugly or simply ignored.
8. Vanity Fair features Kenyan actress Lupita Nyongo in their magazine, but they could not stand her dark skin, so they decided to air brush her to lighter complexion.
1. Angelina Jolie’s “black lips” have been the talk of mainstream media for years…
2. kim kardashian, Armenia American is celebrated for her curvaceous body “black features”
3. Coco is now a reality t.v “star” for flaunting her “black features” every chance she gets.
For additional information
1. ” 5 Features That Black Women Have, That White Women Pay For” 5-features-that-black-women-have-that-white-women-pay-for.html
2 ” Celebrating the Black Beauty On White Women” celebrating-the-black-beauty-on-white-women
3. ” Are White Women Mutilating Themselves Trying to Look Black? An Analysis” are-white-women-mutilating-themselves.html
4.”Gatekeeper to the legend of Nina Simone, the songstress’ only child speaks on the controversial upcoming bio pic and who she’d like to see portray her mother” 2
5. Video instruction on how to “Get Angelina Jolie Lips Without Getting Surgery”
6. Nina Simone’s Daughter says the biopic set to start shooting October 16 about her mother featuring Zoe Saldana is unauthorized. Read her letter here … nina-simones-daughter-writes-an-open-letter-to-her-fans-about-her-mothers-biopic-movie-casting
7. Racist and Sexist psychologist of Asian descent uses his research to disrespect black women as being ugly, while white women with those features are celebrated as beautiful why-black-women-are-less-physically-attractive-tha
8.”Colorism in the Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter Film and Why it Does Matter” #
9. ” Bi Racial Actress Plays Harriet Tubman in Movie! Is this Ok or Offensive ?” ?p=9288
10. “Worst Casting Choice for Biopic Ever? Zoe Saldana to Play Nina Simone” zoe-saldana-as-nina-simone
11. “Stir Builds Over Actress to Portray Nina Simone” should-zoe-saldana-play-nina-simone-some-say-no.html
12. Listen to Nina Simone’s daughter interview on casting Zoe Saldana and how she is not a good fit for her mother’s biopic…portraying-nina-simone-in-a-new-biopic
13. Bad Black Mothers read Dr. Kwame Zulu Shabazz on his blog Thoughts of a Ghetto Intellectual…bad-black-mothers.html
14. Read Kola Boof’s outstanding piece, “Harriet Tubman is Biracial in Vampire Film Abe Lincoln! Shame On You Timur Bekmambetov & Tim Burton!” DOC-813383
15. Read “Celebrity Author & Egyptian-Sudanese Womanist Kola Boof Writes an Open Letter to Nina Simone Director Cynthia Mort About the Erasure of Nina’s Image” …celebrity-author-38-egyptian-sudanese-womanist-kola-boof-045300398.html
16.”India.Arie Speaks Out About Unauthorized Nina Simone Movie”….india-arie-speaks-out-about-unauthorized-nina-simone-movie
18. Suggestions by Clutch, “Five Better Picks for the Role of Nina Simone Than Zoe Saldana”
Please note: Images and videos are not my personal properties. I however, have the copyright to the write up!